ABC Chapter Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Stop by the ABC Website and check out all the new additions in the bottle galleries.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Registration  (Read 2779 times)

BudCanBrad

• Administrator
  • ABC#: 007
  • BCCA#: 32859
    • BudCanBrad
Forum Registration
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »

Due to the recent spam attacks, ads for stupid stuff, I have changed the registration procedure. Instant registration is deactivated. Now when you register for the forum you will receive an activation email. Just follow the procedures on the email and you'll be right in. This should cut down on some of the spam as the spammers usually put in a fake email.

Also, I had to clean the registry while doing this so, if you were a registered member, not in the ABC, you will have to re-register.

Welcome to the ABC forum. Spammers, please pester someone elses forum....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:33:57 am by BudCanBrad »
Always looking for Budweiser Cans,
Anheuser-Busch Aluminum Bottles.

BudCanBrad

• Administrator
    • BudCanBrad
Getting a Spam notice when trying to register
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:52:12 am »

Some of you may be getting the following message when trying to register for the first time:

The user XXXX with Email XXXXX@gmail.com (IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) is a Spam, please contact forum administrator.

What is happening is in an attempt to cut back on the spammers that register and post crap on the site the registration page is linked to the site, stopforumspam.com. The registration will sample the dBase at this site via the User, Email and IP. If any of those appear in the spammer dBase, it will kick out the registration. The dBase has close to 1 million spammers listed.

Why did I get pegged as a spammer? What has probably happened is if you're using your full name as a user ID (ie Joe Smith) that name is probably in the dBase as a spammer. Remember there are 1 million spammers in there so even the more uncommon names may show up.

There are two very easy fixes for this which will easily get the legitimate user registered:

1. Instead of using your name as the user ID (Joe Smith) try a variation of the name or make something up. JSmith3225, BottlesForMe, whatever.

2. If you would like to use your name for the user ID, no problem. Email me if you've received the spam message and I can load your user ID and password for you. It is after the registration checker so that will not be a problem.

Brad...

BudCanBrad

• Administrator
    • BudCanBrad
Re: Forum Registration
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 04:49:36 am »

Well I have had to lock the forum even more. Email activation is disabled and now all new forum members will be manually activated.

Just go ahead and register as you normally would and if I don't think you're a spammer, you will receive an activation email. Pretty much all there is to it and sorry it had to come to this but this is not an open ad board for crap.

Brad...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Chapter Links

ABC Website ABC Facebook Page ABC Twitter

Breweriana Links

BCCA Website